Who We Are & What We Believe… as a redeemed people!
Our history dates back to the early 1850s when a Baptist Sunday School was started in Scottsdale (present day Three Springs). An outgrowth of revival meetings at the Shirleysburg Baptist Church, we were formally organized as a church on November 3, 1859. Our church has from its beginning been affiliated with the Centre Baptist Association and the American Baptist Churches of Pennsylvania and Delaware.
We presently have a thriving Sunday school that continues to grow, along with a diverse and knowledgeable staff of teachers. We believe Sunday school is the most important class you’ll ever attend. We believe the children that attend Sunday school will develop knowledge and skills to help them through life’s trials and tribulations. We believe that Bible school will give children the head start they need to live in this ever changing world. Our Sunday schools are for all ages and are presently abundant will little ones, babies and toddlers. Mom’s and dad’s, it is a huge responsibility to introduce your children to Christ. Jesus said, “Suffer the little children to come unto me, and never forbid them, for such is the Kingdom of Heaven.” (Matt. 19:14)
Our worship service is about praising God through His Son, Jesus Christ, to uplift one another in prayer, and proclaim the Word. Our worship includes a blend of traditional hymns and some of the contemporary praise songs. We also enjoy singing some of the southern style gospel music. The preaching is biblical and evangelistic in content and the overall atmosphere is expressive, warm, and friendly.
We have an exciting congregation that continues to bless our church with talents and hospitality. The church is full of spiritual leaders and lovable congregants, and we give all the glory to God and our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. We profess that we will carry the gospel to the ends of the world by the power of the Holy Spirit.
The story is told of a little boy who walked so many long Chicago city blocks to attend D. L. Moody’s church, passing many other churches along the way. Folks would see him do this every Sunday. One day someone asked him why he would pass by so many other churches and walk such a distance. The boy replied, “It’s because they know how to love a fella’ over there!”
Jesus said, “Everyone will know that you are my disciples by your love for each other!”
Joh 15:12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.
We Believe in the fundamentals of the Faith…
- The inerrancy of Scripture; as a biblical people, the scripture is our authority in matters of faith and practice.
- The virgin birth of Jesus Christ.
- The deity of Jesus Christ
- The substitutionary blood atonement for our salvation.
- The bodily resurrection and second coming 0f Christ.
We Believe that ALL have sinned and fall short of the Glory of God.
We Believe that Jesus Christ, who knew no sin, died to save us from our sins.
We Believe that those who come to Christ by repentance and faith are forgiven by God and enter into new life.
We Believe “Ye Must Be Born Again” according to the Scriptures.
We Believe that the saved stand as Priests before God.
We Believe in the Independence of the local church and that Christ is the “Head” of each local congregation.
We Believe that we’ll follow God’s leading by a self-governing congregation, able to select our own Pastors, and manage our own affairs.
We Believe that independently, we may associate and work with other Baptist churches in the ministry of evangelism, missions, and education; and also we will cooperate with the communities in various shared ministries with churches of other denominations.
We here at First Baptist Church of Three Springs PA, believe in (2) Two Ordinances:
- We follow the Lord in “Believer’s Baptism” which is the immersion of the believer in obedience to Christ’s command, as a symbol of death to our old life and resurrection to the new life in Christ. This ordinance has no other meaning apart from the spiritual change that has already taken place within the heart of the individual. The divine order is one of new birth as a result of repentance by faith, and then baptism as a public profession of Christ as Lord and Savior.
- We celebrate the “Lord’s Supper” in memory of the life and sufferings of Christ, and invite all believers to participate in the celebration. You need not be a member of our church but we ask that you’ve examined your heart and conclude that Jesus is the Lord and Redeemer of your life; and that you’ve asked Jesus to forgive you of your sins.